Sunday, October 29, 2006

Whew! What a week! I am finally sitting down to blog. This blogging thing has really opened up my world. Every day, I travel within my own little circle, wjith a small sphere of influence. The web, blogging, email, and podcasting has allowed me to make more contacts than ever before. My communication and interaction with people has increased dramatically. There are many different groups of people I interact with on a daily basis. Geographically, we're around the globe, but only a keystroke away. Personally, I can chat with my family and friends. Professionally, I am in contact with parents, supervisors, and the community at large. I have varied interests, and the web allows me to tap into the vast resources available. Sometimes, sharing with an educator 3,000 miles away is easier and more open than collaborating with a peer next door!
I like the fact that by blogging, you are one communicating to many. It takes motivation on their part as to whether or not to connect with you.
I am also reconnecting with an old form of communication: the art of the letter.
I am enjoying building the muscle memory to create beautiful calligraphic letters. It takes practice, and a lot of ink! Being left-handed also complicates the matter, but as fortune would have it all of taking the class are lefties! How unusual is that.
The printed letter cannot compare to the sexiness of a hand-written letter. The curve of the letters, the spacing, and the flourishes are all personal. It is amazing that even with computers, calligraphy is still a popular Art form created today.

No comments: